By Lydia Nusbaum
May 11, 2022 Updated 4:15 P.M. ET
TALLAHASSEE (FLV) – Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Florida’s Capitol will light up in blue to recognize National Police Week beginning May 11th until May 17th.
“In Florida, we back the blue,” DeSantis said. “While some states talk about defunding the police, we fund the police and then some because we respect the work they do to keep all of us safe. This week, we honor the men, women, and their families who have dedicated their lives to protecting our communities.”
National Police Week honors those who dedicated their lives to protect Florida and especially recognizes those who died in the line of duty.
DeSantis reiterated his support for H.B. 3, which he claims is the strongest law enforcement recruitment and support initiative in the nation.
- Provides signing bonuses of up to $5,000 to newly employed law enforcement officers in Florida through the creation of the Florida Law Enforcement Recruitment Bonus Payment Program.
- Covers tuition, fees, and up to $1,000 of eligible education expenses for trainees enrolled in a law enforcement officer basic recruit training program through the creation of the Florida Law Enforcement Academy Scholarship Program.
- Offers a reimbursement program to pay for up to $1,000 of eligible equivalency training costs for certified law enforcement officers who relocate to Florida or members of the special operations forces who become full-time law enforcement officers in Florida.
- Makes dependent children of law enforcement officers eligible to receive a Family Empowerment Scholarship to attend private schools.
- Provides law enforcement officers who adopt a child from within the state child welfare system with a $10,000 benefit or a $25,000 benefit for adopting a child with special needs.
Share This Post
Florida’s Voice is a patriotic news network that you can trust to deliver the truth with no hidden agenda. Founder and Editor in Chief Brendon Leslie left his job in mainstream news to practice journalism as it should be, unbiased and unbossed.